Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Success of chemotherapy (post in English only)


14 February 2010

I think the Japanese hospital splendid.

I take chemotherapy to manage my cancer. Evidently, good preparation is half the battle. Before starting chemotherapy, the doctor did a blood test.  The blood test indicated that the medicine might work. I have heard that such testing is not done in hospitals of all countries.

In December, the chemotherapy started. After the second infusion of chemicals to control the cancer, the doctor inspected my condition with a CT scan and a blood test.

In February, the doctor showed me the result of the CT scan. We could see that the cancer had become smaller. We looked at the “before” and “after” CT scans. After chemotherapy, each of the three cancer sites was smaller. The difference was visible with the naked eye. “I am happy,” the doctor said.

And the next week, the doctor showed me the results of the blood tests. The three tumor markers had also decreased.  The graphic shows levels decreasing for tumor markers CEA, NSE, and CYFRA.

I am also feeling happy. Images and numbers have a very powerful effect.

No comments: