Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Venus in Japanese

After two days and nights of rain, Sunday is cold, clear, crisp.  An afternoon walk, and at dusk the new moon and Venus visible from a promenade along a river in Kyoto.  I know the closely paired Jupiter will appear within 30 minutes, find a bench, and sit facing West.

An elderly gentleman of about 70 offers a greeting.  I point and say HOSHI, Japanese for star.  It has the same pronunciation as the word for HOPE.


He says a phrase,  I evince interest, he pulls off my glove and spells the word onto my palm. He writes the Chinese character and explains more than I can understand--something about bright.


I walk the hour home repeating the phrase.  I think it has something to do with the bright night sky of Japan, liking stars, welcome to Kyoto.  But in fact it means only Evening Star, Venus.

I ask a friend if there is a matching phrase for Morning Star, Venus.  She guesses, but confesses that she has never heard a phrase.

No comments: