Monday, November 24, 2008

Green tea and horseradish

Below the revolving sushi  a conveyor belt holds big teacups.  I put a teacup under the spigot at my place in the Tokyo Station fast food restaurant. Hot water pours into my cup.  But where is the tea?  

I give up on the tea and take a plate with one piece of sushi.  I tap green powder from a can into a dish the size of a silver dollar and mix in some hot water.  I wait -- I know powdered horseradish must set for five minutes.  Alas, the liquid does not thicken; there is no piquancy.  It tastes like tea. 

The powder I tap onto the now lukewarm water floats.  The waitress helps as I mime:  first  put the tea powder into the cup, then add hot water.  Nobody says anything--not the sushi master nor the guy eating next to me.

No comments: